Friday, February 18, 2011

Life is Journey, not a Destination…

But if it was, my next destination is South Korea!  In less than a week I’ll be embarking on the biggest adventure of my life so far.  If you are wondering if I’m excited, the answer is YES!  If you are wondering if I’m nervous, the answer is YES!  I’m also feeling every emotion in between.
By chance if you don’t know my background very well, let me clarify a few things:
·         My college degree is in Agribusiness Management, not education
·         I don’t speak any Korean, but I have a pretty good handle on English
·         My passport lacks any stamps from Asian countries, but I throw up the peace sign on a regular basis
·         I don’t know anyone currently living in South Korea, but lots of friends of friends of friends…6 degrees of separation right?
Despite all these fun facts, I am in fact qualified to teach English in South Korea.  Four year college degree…check. Native English speaker…check. 
For the past few weeks I’ve been gathering what I think I’ll need to pack for a year abroad.  While Seoul is a booming developed city, I am packing some luxuries from home, or at least putting them in a box for my mom to mail me. 
·         Deodorant…apparently Asian folk don’t sweat as much as us Westerners
·         Tampons…not a priority for the ladies of the far east
·         Shoes…size 9.5 are hard to come by in a country of the small footed
Check back later for a full list of acceptable items to include in my care packagesJ As of Friday morning KST, I should be in South Korea, granted I survive the 14 hour flight.  More details to come. 
Disclaimer: I’m new to the blogging world, so with time, I hope to make this page a little easier on the eyes. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jodi! Your Mom shared your blog with me and I am excited to be able to see you explore the world via your blog! I can't wait to hear all about the wonderful experiences you will have while there. Best of luck. The Schneider's are adding you as a favorite!

    ReplyDelete