Friday, March 25, 2011

The One Month Mark!

A month ago, I arrived in South Korea…unreal!  It really does not seem like it has been that long.  Everything still seems so fresh and each day I experience something new.  The calendar does not lie though, so it must be true. 
Some aspects of my life are starting to feel normal.  Going grocery shopping and riding the bus to work are second nature now, and my apartment feels quit cozy.  At school, the kids and I are getting into the swing of things as well. 
Being a brand new teacher, I had a lot to learn (and still do)!  I’d be lying if I said I never got frustrated; it is a daily occurrence, especially when the students are extra chatty and energetic.  It is not that my students don’t know the rules, because they do.  They would test me and at times things got a bit chaotic. 
After one week of being super nice teacher, I had to lay down the law!  We went over the rule again and I introduced the “Star Student” sticker board to reward good behavior.  Thursday my first student got to 10 stickers and earned a prize.  Of course it was the only girl in the class!  Some boys still have zero stickers.  I’ll catch them being good, and the next minute they are yelling at their friend on the other side of the room.  Sometimes I’ll give them stickers just so I have leverage to take them away when they are bad!
Pattie, my “Star Student” with her lollipop reward!
Here are some pics of my kiddos.  For more, click here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2618582&id=15907471&l=5f4a70ddfe

Brad, sitting quietly for once:P


Rex
Minsang


Noah, who is in one of my After School classes
Color, color, color
Last weekend I consumed some green beer in honor of St. Patrick’s Day.  Koreans don’t really celebrate the holiday, but of course foreigners do!  I went into an area of Seoul where all the festivities were.  From my estimates, I think every foreigner in Seoul was there!  It was honestly a bit overwhelming being surrounded by so many non-Asians.  A girl I met told me here friends were in the crowd, but she couldn’t find them.  Everyone was wearing green all the white people looked the same…this girl was from upstate New York. 
Anywhere there is a large group of foreigners, you can bet there is street drinking happening.  Koreans are not big on the concepts, but of course foreigners love it.  Who does not get a thrill out of doing something you were raised to believe as wrong, even if it is perfectly legal here.  All the gas stations and convenient stores in the area didn’t plan very well for the occasion though because they all sold out of beer.  We had to travel a few blocks, but were able to find 3 beers and a couple bottles of soju.  After the temperature dropped, I spent the rest of the night at an Irish pub.  It was packed and at times, you could easily forget you were even in South Korea.  It is funny how you have an instant trust and bond with anyone whose native language is English in a foreign land.  For example, a girl sitting next to our table offered me a taste of her beer and I of course accepted because she was from Texas.

The street full of English speakers!


Stella, who I teach with, and I at the Irish Pub
  Just a random Korean guy being AWESOME!
Today was our first field trip and we visited a transportation museum.  Of course I was nervous about losing a student, but I kept track of all 8.  And even though it was a stressful day, the kids had a good time.  We were only there for about 2 hours, but it was plenty of time for a presentation on safety and to explore the museum.    
Here are some pics from the day, but you can see more here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2618583&id=15907471&l=31d363d25f
An unsuccessful attempt at a class pic 

John going for a ride
Minho checking out some different car parts


2 comments:

  1. Your peace sign photo is classic :) and I love Minho's glasses! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fun. Loving the St Pat's Day celebration. 6th and 7th hour have already heard all about your week. We can hardly believe you have been gone a month. Keep up all the posting. No surprise the only girl was the 1st t win a reward :)

    ReplyDelete